Dr Hubert P. H. Shum
SMIEEE, FHEA, PhD, PGCert, MSc, BEng (Hons)
Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Science
Computer Graphics, Computer Vision, Motion Analysis, Machine Learning
I am an Associate Professor in Computer Science at Durham University. Before this, I worked as the Director of Research/Associate Professor/Senior Lecturer at Northumbria University, a Postdoctoral Researcher at RIKEN Japan, and a Research Assistant at the City University of Hong Kong. I received my PhD degree from the University of Edinburgh, my Master and Bachelor degrees from the City University of Hong Kong. To develop my research team, I led funded research projects as the Principal Investigator awarded by EPSRC, the Ministry of Defence (DASA) and the Royal Society. This facilitated me to supervise more than 20 PhDs, to recruit multiple Post-doctoral Researchers, and to collaborate with international researchers from the UK, China, France, Japan and India. Together, we published over 100 research papers in the fields of computer graphics, computer vision, motion analysis and machine learning, particularly focusing on the modelling of human-related data. I led my team hosting important conferences such as BMVC and ACM SIGGRAPH Conference on MIG to engage the academic and industry networks. Contributing to the research community, I have served as an Associate Editor for Computer Graphics Forum, a Guest Editor for International Journal of Computer Vision, and a Program Committee member in 15 conferences such as CVPR, Eurographics, Pacific Graphics.
Working with Me
If you aspire to develop yourself and to conduct high-quality research, do explore working with me as a PhD student, a visiting/internship student, or an academic visitor. My team has a supportive culture with members coming from different countries. My past students and researchers have developed successful research and have enjoyed their vibrant lifes in the UK. See further information and application procedures.
Some self-funded PhD oppotunities include:
- Deep Learning based Computer Graphics for Virtual Human Synthesis
- Computer Vision with Deep Learning for Human Data Modelling
- Deep Learning and Computer Vision for Understanding the People Context in Artworks
- Machine Learning based Human Motion Analysis for Automatic Diseases Diagnosis
Recent Research Grants
- Defence and Security Accelerator (Ref: DSTLX-1000140725), “D-FOCUS: Drone-FOrmation Control for countering future Unmanned aerial Systems“, Principal Investigator
- Royal Society International Exchanges (Ref: IES\R2\181024), “Modelling Human Motion for Synthesis and Recognition with Deep Learning on Surface Features”, Principal Investigator
- GX Project Grants Scheme, “Wound Monitoring with Depth Cameras on Portable Systems”, Principal Investigator
- Royal Society International Exchanges (Ref: IE160609), “An Affective Smart Environment for Personalized Learning and Teaching”, Principal Investigator
- Erasmus Mundus Action 2 Programme (Ref: 2014-0861/001-001), “Sustainable Green Economies through Learning, Innovation, Networking and Knowledge Exchange (gLink)“, Funding Management Officer
- EPSRC First Grant Scheme (Ref: EP/M002632/1), “Interaction-based Human Motion Analysis“, Principal Investigator
- Men, Qianhui, Ho, Edmond S. L. Shum, Hubert P. H. & Leung, Howard (Accepted). A Quadruple Diffusion Convolutional Recurrent Network for Human Motion Prediction. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (TCSVT)
- Hu, Shanfeng, Shum, Hubert, Aslam, Nauman, Li, Frederick W.B. & Liang, Xiaohui (2020). A Unified Deep Metric Representation for Mesh Saliency Detection and Non-rigid Shape Matching. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia 22(9): 2278-2292.
- Shen, Yijun, Yang, Longzhi, Ho, Edmond S. L. & Shum, Hubert P. H. (2020). Interaction-Based Human Activity Comparison. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 26(8): 2620.
- Kar, Arindam, Pramanik, Sourav, Chakraborty, Arghya, Bhattacharjee, Debotosh, Ho, Edmond S. L. & Shum, Hubert P. H. (2020). LMZMPM: Local Modified Zernike Moment Per-unit Mass for Robust Human Face Recognition. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security 16: 495-509.
- Zhang, Lining, Shum, Hubert P. H., Liu, Li, Guo, Guodong & Shao, Ling (2019). Multiview Discriminative Marginal Metric Learning for Makeup Face Verification. Neurocomputing 333: 339-350.
- Zhang, Jingtian, Shum, Hubert P. H., Han, Jungong & Shao, Ling (2018). Action Recognition From Arbitrary Views Using Transferable Dictionary Learning. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 27(10): 4709.
- Rueangsirarak, Worasak, Zhang, Jingtian, Aslam, Nauman, Ho, Edmond S. L. & Shum, Hubert P. H. (2018). Automatic Musculoskeletal and Neurological Disorder Diagnosis With Relative Joint Displacement From Human Gait. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering 26(12): 2387.
- Zhang, Lining, Shum, Hubert P. H. & Shao, Ling (2017). Manifold Regularized Experimental Design for Active Learning. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 26(2): 969.
- Plantard, Pierre, Shum, Hubert P.H., Le Pierres, Anne-Sophie & Multon, Franck (2017). Validation of an ergonomic assessment method using Kinect data in real workplace conditions. Applied Ergonomics 65: 562.
- Zhang, Lining, Shum, Hubert & Shao, Ling (2016). Discriminative Semantic Subspace Analysis for Relevance Feedback. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 1.
- Liu, Zhiguang, Zhou, Liuyang, Leung, Howard & Shum, Hubert P.H. (2016). Kinect Posture Reconstruction Based on a Local Mixture of Gaussian Process Models. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 22(11): 2437.
- Henry, Joseph, Shum, Hubert P. H. & Komura, Taku (2014). Interactive Formation Control in Complex Environments. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 20(2): 211.
- Shum, Hubert P. H., Ho, Edmond S. L., Jiang, Yang & Takagi, Shu (2013). Real-Time Posture Reconstruction for Microsoft Kinect. IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics 43(5): 1357.
- Shum, Hubert P.H., Komura, Taku & Yamazaki, Shuntaro (2012). Simulating Multiple Character Interactions with Collaborative and Adversarial Goals. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 18(5): 741.
- Shum, Hubert P. H., Komura, Taku, Shiraishi, Masashi & Yamazaki, Shuntaro (2008). Interaction patches for multi-character animation. ACM Transactions on Graphics 27(5): 1.
Available for media contact about:
- Computer Science: Graphics and animation
- Computer Science: Machine learning, computer vision
- Computer Science: Virtual reality, augmented reality